South Africa:Sephaku Cement set to produce clinker at Aganang plant

Byyuanyanping

Updated Thu, 21 Aug 2014 14:10:02 GMT

Sephaku Cement, an associate of Sephaku Holdings, has completed the commissioning of the Aganang clinker plant in Lichtenburg, North West Province and is ready to commence production. Lelau Mohuba, the chief executive of Sephaku Holdings, said that the first consignment of clinker would be delivered to Sephaku Holdings' Delmas grinding plant by the end of August 2014. The Aganang plant also has a cement production capacity of 1.1Mt/yr.

Commercial production at the Delmas grinding plant commenced in January 2014 following a successful commissioning phase. Once it is operating at full capacity, it will be capable of producing 1.4Mt/yr of cement. About US$312m has been invested in establishing these new cement plants, which will have a total annual capacity of 2.2Mt/yr once they are fully operational.

Sephaku Holdings has a 36% stake in Sephaku Cement, with the remaining 64% owned by Dangote Cement. Mohuba said that the production of its own clinker was an important step for Sephaku Cement in enabling it to become a fully-integrated producer of cement. Mohuba said that Sephaku Cement had to date been purchasing clinker to grind at Delmas, where the company had achieved more than 60% capacity utilisation. He said this had enabled Sephaku Cement to enter the market while strengthening its sales function in preparation for increasing volumes.